Every year when we set our clocks back the winter blues kick in for me. I really struggle with it getting dark before 5pm! Seriously I still have 5 hours to be awake, I want some sunshine! I'm pretty sure a lot of people feel this way too, especially my WI peeps. So here's a list of some ideas I have to help beat the winter blues:
1. Vitamin D. Scientifically this should help the most of everything on list! Women are more susceptible to reductions in vitamin D during the winter months, how sucky is that? So if you're living in the midwest, or a place that lacks sunlight November through February, 1000 IU of vitamin D per day will help boost happiness, improve cognitive functions, and maintain a healthy body weight…which makes taking that little pill a no-brainer right?
2. You don't necessarily have to go see The Milwaukee Ballet's "The Nutcracker," but the concept of this one is to go out and be involved in something bigger than just you. Personally, I enjoy seeing musicals or ballets, going ice skating, or catching a movie. It's a great escape from reality for a little while and sure beats sitting at home on the couch!
3. Hit the gym. I really struggle with motivation to work-out in the winter, but the gym I go to has some fun classes and if I plan to meet up with a friend there then I'll be sure to not talk myself out of it. There has NEVER been a time when I left the gym feeling worse than when I walked in. It's practically fool-proof.
4. If you can't beat 'em join 'em! Sometimes I find myself googling warm places to take a trip to, or wanting to watch a movie that takes place in sunny summer, but once I'm done with that I certainly don't feel any better. So I suggest watching a Wintery, Christmasy, funny movie. It'll make ya laugh and help embrace the season a little bit :)
5. Peppermint mocha, Gingerbread, and Caramel Brûlée lattes. Doesn't that sound like the definition of happiness? I'll admit I'm totally addicted to the comfort I feel with a warm peppermint (white) mocha in hand. So when I start to feel down this time of year, heading to Starbucks can always help. Maybe not the best habit to get into, but it gets the job done.
Stay warm friends!