Believe it or not, I’ve been living in Florida for three months now! Since the move I’ve had a handful of people reach out to me asking how I knew it was time for me to take the leap and move over a thousand miles away from home. It seems as though some friends and other people my age could benefit from what I’ve learned so far which is why I’m sharing today :) Keep in mind that this is from a perspective of someone who is very single and moved alone, I’m sure it would be a little different if you move with a friend or significant other!
I’ve already talked about timing and how I knew it was right for me, so I’ll keep this part short and simple…if you’ve ever seriously considered moving then it’s probably the right choice for you. Do it and don’t look back!
- Moving can mean a lot of alone time, especially in the beginning. So it helps to know yourself. I knew that solitude wouldn’t be a problem for me because I’m independent, semi-introverted, and actually enjoy alone time. If the thought of being alone is scary, lucky for you it’s 2016 and meeting people is easier than ever! I actually had a coffee date set up with a girl I “met” via Instagram who I realized was living in the area I was headed before I even came down here. I’ve met most people through social media, and now there are apps like Bumble BFF and Meetup that make friend-finding ridiculously simple. If all else fails, I’ve found that the line “I just moved here, want to be friends?” actually works pretty well too :)
- Men are such a luxury. A spider in the bathroom? A headlight out? Girl you’re gonna have to figure that one out on your own now (or cry to your brother for help)!
- You can live off of so much less than you’re used to. When I packed up, I only brought the essentials. I left with a large suitcase, a small suitcase, a backpack, and my bike. Granted, I was heading to live in my brother’s spare bedroom so I didn’t need all that other apartment stuff. The small suitcase was full of shoes and books, my backpack had my tech devices, and my big suitcase had everything else. If you can imagine, that’s not a whole lot at all. I brought one moisturizer and one nail polish color and I plan to use those until they are gone before I buy another. What a concept!
- If you have control, move to a vacation hotspot. The Fort Myers/Naples area is known for spring breakers and snowbirds and because of that I’ve unexpectedly been able to see some friends who come to the area for vacation!
- Which leads me to my next point that you’ll value friend and family time 10x more because your time with them becomes so limited!
- Finally, you’ll probably have the time of your life! Everyday you are able to explore your new city, do something that is out of your comfort zone, reinvent yourself, tell someone about your past (or don’t), create new routines, and see the world in a new perspective. Of course you will have moments of homesickness, but overall I know I will look back on this time as one of my favorite seasons of life <3